Thursday 16 September 2010

Blog Intro.

This is the first post of my AS Media blog, and will be documenting my progress over the course of the year. During this year I will be constantly updating my blog with new posts that will hopefully culminate in my completion of the main task, which is of course to complete a front cover, contents page and a double page spread for a music magazine. But first as a preliminary task I will be creating a front cover and contents page for a college magazine.

I personally listen to an extremely wide range of bands and genres, but artists I find myself particularly listening to include Paramore, Mayday Parade, Bring Me The Horizon, All Time Low, We The Kings, and more along the same lines. Although my music magazine will be aimed to a market of fans of those types of bands, I did consider doing a classical music magazine as I find I enjoy the genre.

Over the course of the year, my focus will be on Kerrang!, Big Cheese magazine and Alternative Press, as they feature the same genres of bands, and I find it would be better to draw influence from both magazines, rather than just one. Both of these magazines focus on the pop punk/rock genre, among other. This gives enables me to look at a variety of different bands.

Kerrang! magazine still holds out well against other competing music magazines like for instance NME Magazine, enjoying annual sales of 421,000, as of july '10, whereas NME only managed 325,000.

Other webzines, magazines and music sites include, Rolling Stone, Q magazine and RockFeedBack webzine. A music sharing site I personally have used for around 3-4 years is Spotify, which is an incredibly large source of music of all genres, and is updated daily. Many bands also still use MySpace as pages for their band, and to put their music out. Myspace has always proven itself to be very reliable when it comes to music.

Links to any bands, magazines, webzines or websites referenced in my intro can be found here:

Bands:
www.alltimelow.com
www.paramore.net
www.maydayparade.com
www.myspace.com/bmth
www.wethekingsmusic.com

Magazines/Webzines:
www.kerrang.com
www.bigcheesemagazine.com
www.altpress.com
www.nme.com
www.rollingstone.com
www.qthemusic.com
www.rockfeedback.com

Websites:
www.spotify.com/uk/
www.myspace.com

2 comments:

  1. Nice intro, Kieron...and the blog's looking great! Maybe add a few web-links to those mags?

    ReplyDelete