Thursday 6 January 2011

Music magazine front cover.

























As you can see, this front cover is a complete change to my preliminary task in terms of a proper house style, an image taken with a lot more care and attention to detail, plus a load of information taking up "dead space", which I thought was quite important, especially after looking at other magazines such as NME and Rolling Stone which always look to make full use of any spaces they happen to have. As I mentioned in my previous post, I aimed to keep a solid house style consisting of mainly blue and blacks, and my model's shirt also helped with the house style, conveniently being blue itself. On my preliminary task I used a font that I didn't feel suited my magazine, and it took me a while to find one that I liked but also, in my eyes, worked as a font for my magazine. the problem I did face was empty space below "Tune Up" and above "Magazine", and it took me a while to figure out what I should do, since I believed adding anything else relating to what's in the magazines would start to make it look like a contents page. I then came up with the simple idea of using a selection of music notes to take up the space above "Magazine", and then also thought of using a bar of music from a song I know, and cutting it into a suitable length. Thankfully, this seems to have worked, taking up space that needed to be filled, whilst letting the front cover do it's job of just being a front cover. The outline of a slightly darker star that's behind everything was added late, as I didn't like the idea of just a plain, flat colour for the background, and adding the star gives it a slight contrast, especially with the sharp lines. Finally, I wanted to keep the blue writing instead of just using black font, so i used the slightly opaque black boxes to frame my writing, so as to make it easy to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment