Tuesday 12 October 2010

Just a few snaps.

We were tasked with taking various pictures that used different camera angles and techniques, for instance low angled shots and close ups. Most people in my Media class decided to take the easy route and just pose people in different positions, but I decided to go to my partner's house and take a few pictures of things other than just people. Here are three of the shots I took, which I'll explain individually. This is just an exercise to get me used to taking different types of shots, in preparation for the photographs I will be taking for my music magazine.


This as you can see is a picture of a lit candle, a source of heat. Sitting next to the candle is an ice cube, a source of....well, cold I suppose. Basically, the shot I was going for was one showing juxtaposition, but I wanted to create it myself instead of trying to find it in my surroundings, which I believed would be too easy. The contrast in heat between these two objects just struck me as something that would be fun to capture.




This shot is a close up of fungi growing on Prior Pursglove's grounds. A lot of people were taking pictures of things they percieved to be beautiful, thinking that was all that is important. For instance, a lot of roses were posing for cameras. Now this shot of fungi isn't exactly a pretty red rose, but that's not to say it isn't a great picture that captures so much detail , with so many gouges and shadows and other elements that set it apart from the rest as a close up.



Straight away you can see that this shot uses a low camera angle, giving the effect that you are looking up at the iPod and it's dock in this case. The inspiration to use an iPod came from the idea that human beings are almost entirely dependant on technology; it's everywhere. Why, I'm even using a technological piece of equipment (albeit a rather unimpressive keyboard) to type these words. This leads me to believe that technology holds a certain power, and thus I thought it appropriate to show this by taking this photo.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting shots! No people but nonetheless quite interesting. It might be worthwhile considering how such shots can be used in a magazine...the candle one especially is quite creative...

    ReplyDelete